Training recap #3 covers two weeks from December 17 to December 30, 2018. The previous training recap #2 summarized my return to training following my hernia surgery and my metatarsal stress reaction.
Week 1: Baby Steps!
- This being my 2nd week running again, and having only run 5 miles in 4 days last week, I was thrilled to be taking baby steps and enjoying every opportunity to run in Waveny Park.
- The hernia surgery was healing well, and my focus was more on building my foot strength, and allowing my stress reaction to continue healing.
- Baby steps meant I ran 6 miles over 4 days, which is a small increase.
Week 2: Can I count to 10?
- My goal was to increase to 10 miles this week. Spoiler alert: didn’t happen.
- I ran 8 miles over 4 days, all of them 2-mile runs. Again, while that seems like a small increase, I progressed from a single 2-mile run, to two last week, to four this week.
- During my Wednesday run, I felt so good I pushed the pace a little too much, running a progression 2-miles in 15:45 with 8:18 and 7:25 mile splits. That’s on wet, muddy trails.
- Thereafter, I backed off my plan to run 5 days, and took an extra day of rest to help my foot adapt to the increased stress.
- To close out the week, I unknowingly pushed the pace again on Sunday, running another 2-mile progression in 15:26 with 8:16 and 7:10 mile splits. Again, on wet, muddy trails.
Summary: About 20 miles into 2nd Training Block
- 14 miles over two weeks, and 19 miles over the past three weeks.
- In addition, 5 workouts focused on core, strength and mobility. 9 workouts over the past three weeks. Stretched daily.
- Patience, focus, balance, and hard work. And satisfaction and continued healing.
- This two-week period included two significant first-time (emotionally tough) experiences: celebrating both my birthday and Christmas home alone. And giving myself the best Christmas present, a Christmas-day run in Waveny Park!
- Cared for my body by stretching, icing, sleeping at least 7 hours on average per night, eating healthy, natural food, and hydrating throughout each day.
- Managed my work-life balance, daily priorities, and stress to improve my emotional and mental well-being.
- Excited and looking forward to next week!