Training recap #4 covers two weeks from December 31, 2018 to January 13, 2019. The previous training recap #3 summarized me slowly ramping up training following hernia surgery and my metatarsal stress reaction.
Week 1: Leaving for China
- 4th week running post-injuries, and completed 4 consecutive runs (Tuesday to Friday), with the 4th run my longest to date at 3 miles.
- Left New York for a business trip to China very early on Saturday morning, and arrived in Beijing on Sunday evening (local time), which eliminated the ability to run during the weekend. More about the challenges of running on a business trip in another blog post.
- Notwithstanding the shortened week, very happy with my progress on several fronts: increased volume, consecutive runs without a day off, longest run, and longest run was a progression run, i.e. running negative splits (average pace on Waveny trails 7:40 per mile, with splits 8:14, 7:27, and 7:20).
Week 2: Challenges of Running in China
- With all good intentions of running in China, it didn’t happen.
- I ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill at the Beijing Haidian Holiday Inn at 6 am on Tuesday (Monday was a day off).
- I spent the remainder of the week in Beijing, Wuhan and Guangzhou, worked daily from 7 am until 10 pm, and travelled by high-speed train from Beijing to Wuhan, and then from Wuhan to Guangzhou.
- My return from Guangzhou to New York was the following week (will be covered in my training recap #5).
- Disappointed to say the least, as I hoped to run outside the hotel, particularly in Guangzhou (near Hong Kong), where the temperatures are in the high 60’s to low 70’s in January.
Summary: About 30 miles into 2nd Training Block
- 11.5 miles over two weeks, and 30.5 miles over the past five weeks.
- Some lessons learned about running, core and strength workouts while travelling.
- Glass half full, so progress nonetheless.
- Enjoyed my business trip to China, unfortunately also no time for sightseeing, and looking forward to returning home and continuing my healing and rediscovery after divorce
Note: Photo in header is Tiananmen Square, Beijing, China, photographed at night from private car using Google Pixel 3 XL camera.