Training recap #6 covers two weeks from January 28 to February 10, 2019. The previous training recap #5 marked 50 miles into training block #2, and this period continues good progress after injuries.
Week 1: Recovery Week
- After my first 15-mile week last week (5 days running), I reduced to 12 miles this week (by eliminating one day of running), but maintained my density (4 days averaging 3 miles per day).
- My extra day off was Wednesday, when the Polar Vortex dropped temperatures in Connecticut below zero.
- The start of the week was a little fast. On Tuesday, I ran 3 miles on the Waveny trails in 22:50 (7:37 pace). It was an unintentional progression run with splits 8:10, 7:24, 7:16. Oops. Read why this is not a good idea.
- I ran a 4-mile “long” run on Sunday, and then biked on my Sole SB700 spin bike immediately after my run for an additional 35 minutes aerobic workout.
Week 2: Mileage Back Up
- After backing off my mileage last week, I completed my second 15-mile week on 5 days running this week.
- 3rd business trip since the beginning of the year, and with lesson learned from my China trip, I planned around a Tuesday/Wednesday trip to Salt Lake City.
- I ran Monday (normally a day off), and 4 consecutive days from Thursday to Sunday.
- Another 4-mile Sunday “long” run followed by 40 minutes on my spin bike. The 2-week period ended the same way it started. I ran my 4 miles too fast in 30:00. Memo to self: I didn’t learn my lesson. Motivated to get this right next week.
Summary: Consistent training leads to improvement
- 27 miles on 9 days during this period, and 42 miles over past 3 weeks (14 days).
- Averaged 3 miles per day running, with two Sunday “long” runs of 4 miles.
- Aerobic cross-training on both Sundays totaling 1 hour 15 minutes on spin bike.
- 3 workouts focused on core, strength and mobility (19 in total over the past 9 weeks). These workouts are challenging on Friday evening after a long work week, and a run. Happy to put my head on the pillow on Friday night, and to sleep late on Saturday morning. Equally challenging on Sunday afternoon after long run and spin bike. Unfortunately Monday morning is early rise and shine for work.
- Really hyped that I’m able to slowly re-build the foundation after my initial 500-mile training block was compromised by my injury timeout.